Project Update: Adele Santos House
The New Contemporary Prefab
The new contemporary prefab in Somerville, Massachusetts, conceived by acclaimed architect Adèle Naudé Santos and built by Bensonwood, boasts 27′ spans, 12′ ceilings, a 24′ wall of glass, and sky views through overlapping lofts above. Located in burgeoning Kirkland Village, a scenic 15 minute walk to Harvard Square, this is one of three very special buildings on the site of a former bronze foundry — including another Santos property recently featured in The Boston Globe and Boston Curbed.
Urban design authority and former dean of MIT’s School of Architecture and Planning (SA+P), Santos is principal architect in the San Francisco and Boston based firm, Santos, Prescott and Associates. SP+A architect Ethan Lacy served as Project Architect for the house.
The house was fabricated off-site by Bensonwood with engineered wood and steel, expansive windows, and a weathertight clapboard and stucco exterior. The energy-efficient shell was raised in just a few days of days and finished in a matter of weeks in early 2014, a benefit of factory-built homes.
Energy Ratings + Systems
Energy systems include 4-zone radiant heat set in concrete, whole house heat pump A/C, an energy recovery ventilator for conditioned fresh air, triple-glazed windows and full insulation. The attached garage/workshop has radiant heat floors. Outdoor spaces include a side patio from the kitchen, a large private backyard and an upper-level terrace overlooking the street.
The home is Energy Star Tier III certified (the highest level possible) and has a HERS Index Rating of 42, meaning it is 58% more efficient than a standard new home.
Green Energy Highlights
- Radiant heated floors in all living spaces.A heat pump system for bedrooms, backup heat and whole house A/C
- Energy recovery ventilator providing conditioned fresh air for use when cooling or heating
- LED lighting throughout.Precision prefabricated, high-performance construction by Bensonwood
- Zero VOC paints and finishes.Designed for natural lighting and ventilation throughout
- Triple glazed windows throughout with special acoustic glass in bedrooms.